Sunday, December 8, 2013

First AFS meeting before Finland

It's my third blog entry already and I'm still telling you about the time before the journey. I hope you are not bored because of this fact.

As I wrote in my last entry I want to tell you now something about the preparation for the exchange year.
The first meeting of AFS was in Bendorf nearby Koblenz. We were around 20 young persons from the same region where we live. The destination from most of us was of course the USA. I was actually a little bit jealous because they got their favourite country. But in the end I was very happy to go to Finland. Why? You will find out soon.
On this meeting we had some so called "Energizers". That means that we had activity games like "Funky Chicken" where you had to dance like the teamer did before or you had a funny native American dance in a circle. The idea behind these "Energizers" was firstly the ice-breaking but secondly and more important to have fun at this "Freshee-Camp".

Maybe I have to explain the names. "Freshee" is the name for a person who is at the beginning of his exchange year experience. The next one is the "Awayee". This person is right now on exchange. A person who returned from his host country is a "Returnee".

Our teamers who were all Returnees gave us tasks to work in a team and tasks to improve our communication skills. One example: All Freshees had to wait outside while the Returnees beckoned in one Freshee after another. I had to take a seat on a chair. On my opposite site there were two of the Returnees. Directly in front of me there were several things on the floor like towels, a hammer, pencils and so on. Next to the teamers there was a bottle, too far away so that I couldn't reach it. So the task was to get the bottle without leaving the chair. Everything in the room could be useful, the teamers said. So I started tinkering a lasso out of the towels and tried to catch the bottle but it was purposeless. Then I started to think again and after a little hint I finally found out that I just had to ask the teamers... I felt soo stupid but the teamers just laughed and said that they had to do this task as well and also failed. After all I had to laugh, too. Then I could sit down in this room and looked, how the other Freshees did it. One guy made it seriously with the lasso and caught the bottle. We were rolling on the floor laughing tears, while he looked like we got insane.

That's all for now. I remembered more than I thought, so it will last a little bit longer until I start writing about flying to Helsinki. I will talk about the second meeting next time. I hope you can wait a little bit longer.

Until next time: Stay tuned.
Terveisin, Finno Sheep :)

No comments:

Post a Comment